Herman Miller Aeron Stool, High Height
designed by Don Chadwick and Bill Stumpf
At A Glance:
Think of the Aeron Chair, but then make it two feet higher. You've got the Aeron Stool - perfect for the office, and even at home in the home (see what we did there?). It fits anyone who sits at a high table or work station. Adjustable, comfortable, ergonomic, and two feet higher.
This happens to be the high height version. The low height version is the more popular model of the Aeron Stool. Click here to go to the low height stool.
What's to Like:
For people who have to work in tall chairs this is a godsend. The aspects of comfort, back support and superior ergonomics that the Aeron Stool brings to bear are largely missing from the stool industry. Not to mention consistency, a recyclable nature, and several color options.
What's Not to Like:
Just like the actual Aeron Chair, the left and right edges of the seat pan are a bit upturned, and for larger people this can cause some discomfort. For small people, it engenders a feeling of constantly expanding bliss. There is a price increase from the regular chair as well.
This is a very comfortable stool, with all the looks, comfort and advanced engineering you'll find in the regular chair - just two feet off the ground.
Aeron Low Stool
Aeron Side Chair
- High back. High and wide contoured back that takes weight off the lower spine.
- Easy on the arms. Wide, soft armrests are sloped in the front.
- Waterfall front edge. Reduces pressure under the thighs so circulation isn't restricted.
- Healthful support. The strong Pellicle suspension system distributes weight evenly over the seat and back.
- Form-fitting. The Pellicle conforms to each person's shape and minimizes pressure.
- Aeration. Wide, soft armrests are sloped in the front.
- Natural Tilt, Smooth ride. The Kinemat tilt lets people move naturally and effortlessly, from forward-leaning through reclining.
- In sync.The backrest and seat pan move in proper relation for correct support in all positions.
- Responsive. Whether the user is in motion or at rest, the chair spontaneously supports the preferred posture.
- Inclusive look. Wide, soft armrests are sloped in the front.
- Pellicle choices. Blends both classic and contemporary influences for a unique appearance that fits in wherever it's used.
- Easy on the arms. Three unique Pellicle weaves in a choice of neutral colors coordinate with lighter-scaled contemporary environments.
An All-Purpose Work Stool Solution
The Aeron Stool is a high-performance, long-term seating solution that features a full complement of adjustments and along with the innovative Pellicle suspension fabric, making it ideal from general computer and office work to casual or formal meetings.
Combining distinctive looks with pioneering ergonomics, Aeron performs like no other chair. It adapts naturally and adjusts precisely to fit people of all sizes and postures doing all kinds of activities, all day long. The imaginative design of the Aeron Stool gives superior comfort, body support, and style that are widely copied but never matched.
The Aeron work stool employs a Pellicle material that conforms to the user's body and retains its original shape when unoccupied. The material is lightweight and breathable and distributes the user's weight evenly over the seat and back of the stool. The Aeron Stool's Kinemat tilt lets the body naturally pivot at the ankles, knees, and hips.
The Herman Miller Aeron Stool Chair is also known by the following manufacturer Item Numbers: AE721PWB, AE723AWB, AE723AFB
MATERIALS & MEASUREMENTSDimensions:
Overall: 51.75" to 57.25" h x 27" w x 17" d (seat depth)
Seat: 27.5 to 34" h x 20.25" w
Pellicle suspension material conforms to user's body and retains its original shape when not in use. The material is lightweight and breathable, distributing the user's weight evenly over the seat and the back of the stool for added comfort.
ENVIRONMENTAL INFORMATIONShifting Paradigms with Pop Bottles
Herman Miller's Aeron Stool rewrote the book on office seating with its distinctive look and high-performance design. In addition to its well-known ergonomic and functional qualities, Bill Stumpf and Don Chadwick designed the Aeron stool to be sparing of natural resources, durable and repairable, and constructed for ease of disassembly and recycling.
From its earliest developmental stages, the Aeron's raw material selection and sourcing process emphasized environmental friendliness, with a preference for renewable, sustainable, and recycled source materials, including recycled pop bottles.
The Aeron stool's components are constructed from aluminum, steel, plastic, and foam/textile. The Aeron stool is up to 94 percent recyclable at the end of its useful life. Aeron is comprised of 62-percent recycled materials. The recycled content breaks down to 41-percent post-consumer and 21-percent pre-consumer content.
- All die-cast aluminum components are made from 100-percent recycled material and are 100 percent recyclable
- Components contain approximately 25- percent recycled content and are 100 percent recyclable.
- Most metal components have a powder-coat paint finish that emits negligible volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
- Plastic components are identified with an ASTM recycling code whenever possible, to aid in returning these materials to the recycling stream.
- The seat frame and back contain over 60-percent recycled content, made from approximately 36 recycled two-liter plastic beverage bottles per chair.
- Foam and textile materials are part of an open-loop system and can be recycled into everything from automotive components to carpet padding at the end of their current life.
- Returnable/Recyclable Packaging - Packaging materials include corrugated cardboard and a polyethylene plastic bag. These materials are part of a closed- loop recycling system, meaning they can be recycled repeatedly.
- Easy assembly for cost-efficiency and quick parts replacement.
- Easy disassembly for recyclability.
- Designed for durability, an important environmental criterion.
- Backed by Herman Miller's 12-year, 24/7 warranty.
Indoor Air Quality
The Aeron stool is GREENGUARD certified as a low-emitting product that meets current indoor air quality standards. GREENGUARD-certified products also meet the emissions requirements of the State of Washington Furniture Systems criteria and the U.S. EPA Procurement Guidelines for Office Furniture.
The Aeron stool may contribute to LEED credits due to its returnable/reusable packaging, durability, pre-consumer and post-consumer recycled content, and GREENGUARD certification. Depending on project location, Aeron also may contribute to a LEED Regional Materials credit. Please contact us for detailed LEED credit sheets.
It's important to note that no interior furnishings, individually or collectively, can guarantee a specific number of points for LEED certification.
ABOUT THE MANUFACTURER
Herman Miller is an industry leader in the integration of cutting edge technology to furniture and other household items to make everyday life more comfortable, convenient, and stylish. Herman Miller stands out at the forefront of such fields as ergonomic technologies, environmentally friendly manufacturing processes, and customizable furniture items.
In addition to producing some of the most outstanding office furniture in the world, Herman Miller has also taken on the responsibility of manufacturing some of the most celebrated furniture designs by some of the world's most famous designs. These "modern classics" include works by Charles and Ray Eames, George Nelson, and Isamu Noguchi. Herman Miller celebrates these famous mid-century designers' works through its extraordinarily precise manufacturing techniques and industry-leading green production processes.
Herman Miller is a global company with operations, sales offices, dealers, and licensees in more than 40 countries in North America, Asia/Pacific, Europe, Middle East, Africa, and Latin America, serving customers virtually anywhere in the world. Herman Miller is headquartered in Zeeland, Michigan, while manufacturing facilities are located in the U.S., China, Italy, and the United Kingdom.
Stumpf's association with Herman Miller began in 1970 when he joined the staff of the Herman Miller Research Corporation. After establishing his own firm in 1972, Stumpf created the Ergon chair, the first ergonomic work chair. Later, in collaboration with Don Chadwick, he produced the groundbreaking Equa and iconic Aeron chairs. He also was principal designer for the Ethospace system. "I enjoy myself, and I do it through design," Stumpf declared in an interview a few years ago.
"I love beauty, and I love the availability of beautiful things and useful things immediately around me." During his lifetime Stumpf- a key figure in Herman Miller's transformation into a research-based, problem-solving innovator- received numerous awards for this work. Most recently, he was named the winner of the 2006 National Design Award in Product Design, an award presented posthumously by the Smithsonian's Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum. Stumpf died in 2006.
Chadwick's love for furniture design goes back to his childhood, when his cabinetmaker grandfather taught him how to use the tools of the trade--hand tools that required skill, precision, and patience. Later, unlike the other industrial design students at UCLA in the mid-1950s, he focused on furniture. And after hearing a Charles and Ray Eames lecture there, Chadwick was convinced: Furniture offered designers, even industrial designers, the chance to use materials in new, innovative ways--and to make a "real difference" in people's lives.
"Most industrial designers don't take furniture design seriously," he says. "They're not trained to get into that kind of detail. It's too personal, too much like surgery. And besides, you have to be in love with this kind of work." He attributes at least some of this optimism to the "LA recklessness" he's experienced as a lifelong resident of Southern California. "There's less fear of failure out here, so people are more apt to take risks. It's fertile ground for innovation." For over two decades now, Chadwick has had a partner in recklessness. "Herman Miller isn't afraid to take chances on new ideas. That's why the company's been successful for so long, and that's one reason why it's challenging to work for them."
DESIGN STORYThe Aeron design was refined and validated through research and experts' opinions:
- It was tested for comfort with scores of users, pitting it against the best work chairs available.
- Leading ergonomists, orthopedic specialists, and physical therapists evaluated the chair's fit and motion, the benefit and ease of its adjustments.
- The design team conducted anthropometric studies across the country, using a specially developed instrument to calculate everything from popliteal height to forearm length.
- The research team did pressure mapping and thermal testing to determine the weight distribution and heat- and moisture-dissipating qualities of the Pellicle material on the chair's seat and back.
- Field studies using a specially-designed measuring device examined the relationship between sizes of people and their preference for chair size (Dowell 1995b). Measurements of 224 people--in a sample that was evenly distributed between men and women and that closely reflected the distribution of the U.S. population on most dimensions--found that of all the anthropometric dimensions measured, height and weight had the strongest relationship to chair size preference. The relationship is strong enough to allow us to recommend one of the three chair sizes based on those dimensions.
Although it reveals its aesthetic heritage in lyrical shapes reminiscent of George Nelson designs, organic forms that recall the work of Charles Eames, and a spare, athletic aspect that brings to mind its designers' Equa chair, the Aeron stool finally looks only like itself. Its unique form expresses its purpose and use and the material composition of its parts and the way they connect. The slightly transparent and reflective nature of its surfaces gives it an airy quality. It becomes a part of the person who uses it and the environment that surrounds it.
Made largely of recycled materials, the Aeron stool is designed to last a long time, with parts that get the most wear easily replaced and recycled. Just what you would expect in a well thought-out design.
SHIPPING & DELIVERY
Front Door Delivery (Curbside): $0.00
With curbside service, your items will be left at the curb, just inside your driveway or placed next to your front door. When your order arrives to the delivery station in your home town, you will be contacted to schedule a delivery appointment. You will need to be present at the delivery and a signature will be required. Please note that this service does not include delivery inside your home or office, so be prepared. If you want to save a little money on shipping and have friends to help you move and unpack, this is your best option.
Inside Delivery: $74.00
Inside delivery is a cost effective way to have large, heavy items delivered inside your home or office when you just do not want to be bothered by moving and lifting. When your order reaches the local station in your area, you will be contacted to schedule a delivery appointment (with a 4-5 hour window). The shipper will then bring the product inside your residence. Assembly is not included.
Type: 1 box
Box dimensions: 27" x 28" x 50"
Packaged weight: 77 lbs
Assembly required: None (hooray!)
For additional information, please see our shipping and delivery policies page.
Comes with a 12-year manufacturer's warranty.
Do you have specific questions about what's covered under Herman Miller's warranty for this product? Give our sales team a call at 888-467-6278 to get your questions answered.
Did you purchase a piece of Herman Miller furniture that's not working as expected? Send an email to email@example.com or contact our customer service department at 888-762-7841, and we'll take care of you. We usually ask for a photo or video of the warranty issue that you're experiencing, so if you want to expedite the warranty claim process, you can e-mail us with those attachments, and we'll jump on filing the claim for you right away