Also In This Collection
Materials & Measurements
- Aluminum, steel, glass-reinforced nylon, polypropylene and 100-percent fabric or semi-aniline leather upholstery.
- Overall depth: 21.75" to 24.75"
- Overall width: 26.625"
- Overall height: 37.25" to 42.5"
- Seat height: 16"-21" adjusts for different statures
- Seat depth: 15.5" to 18.5" adjusts for different leg lengths
- Back height from seat: 25" ample support for people of all sizes
- Arm height from seat: 7" to 11" accommodates different arm lengths
Your FurnitureGenius Recommendations
Environmental InformationThe Amia is made from 20 percent recycled material. According to McDonough Braungart Design Chemistry, the Amia contains no hazardous materials and releases no toxic substances during use. At the end of the Amia's life cycle it is 97 percent recyclable.
- Green - The Amia chair has Gold Cradle to Cradle Product Certification for environmental performance. That means from inception to eventual recycling, the Steelcase Amia is designed to be environmentally friendly, even benevolent.
The Amia chair is also level 1 certified to the BIFMA e3 sustainability standard. According to BIFMA, the level conformance mark ensures a comprehensive, independent and impartial assessment of the environmental and social impacts of a product's manufacture. The Amia chair's level makes it easy to identify products that have been evaluated against a consensus-based, multi-attribute sustainability standard.
- Safe - The Steelcase Amia was designed with a holistic environmental approach. Lifecycle Assessment, used by Steelcase measures the impact of each step in a product's lifecycle: materials, production, transport, use and end of life.
The Amia chair comes with a clean bill of health when it comes to those assessments. Additionally, all materials in the Amia chair were required to pass materials chemistry analysis by MBDC, which tests each substance for safety to human and environmental health.
- Low Impact - Steelcase knows how important it is to lessen the impact of corporations on the environment. The Steelcase Amia chair is only one of their many products that have taken dramatic steps to do so.
The Amia is up to 97 recyclable by weight and the use of inseparable mixed materials was avoided to make recycling easier. Amia is GREENGUARD Indoor Air Quality Certified. Amia is also C2C Gold Certified with Closed Loop and Lagoon fabrics. Should you decide to resell, donate or recycle your Amia chair someday, the Steelcase Environmental Partnership program can help connect you with ways to do that. Amia also holds SCS Indoor Advantage Gold certification for protecting indoor air quality, so Amia may help contribute toward earning LEED credits for your project.
- Healthier - The Amia chair isn't just better for the environment, it's better for you. The materials within the chair are regulated to heighten air quality, can up your LEED credits, and are easy for you to recycle. Of course Amia isn't just healthier for the environment, it's also better for you. More back support means less pain, and flexible, adjustable seating means better circulation, better heart health, better moods. Be healthier. buy Amia today.
For more information on MBDC testing, please visit their web site.
About The Manufacturer
Your Recently Viewed Products
The design of the Steelcase Amia chair was motivated by several goals: Simplicity, comfort, support, adaptability, durability, and value. Amia can proudly claim to have accomplished all of them. The Amia Chair is meant to be an everyday relief from the stress and unhealthy postures of eight hour days at the office; days that can take an often unseen toll on your back, shoulders, spine, neck and thighs. The LiveLumbar technology within the chair, one of the most important ergonomic innovations Steelcase has pioneered, takes the responsibility of keeping your lower back supported as seriously as the rest of the chair works to keep you comfortable. Beyond simple comfort and support, this is also an extremely adjustable and adaptable chair. It can be adjusted to fit any user, and the four-way adjusting armrest is the cool and quirky cherry on top of a truly fine office chair.
- Simplicity - "There is a difference between simple and simplistic."
The designers at Steelcase had a clear idea of what type of chair the Amia would be. They wanted strong, clear lines, hidden working parts instead of the more common and showy extroverted bells and whistles favored by other furniture makers, and a look inspired by none other than the VW Bug. The Amia chair accomplished this by keeping all of its ergonomic design hidden from view, either within the seat back - where the LiveLumbar system resides - or in the seat itself, where cooling technology is deployed to keep users from getting overheated. Because of the focus on simplicity within the technological design, the aesthetic design was freed up, and was able to form a unified whole rather than just a few striking parts. Amia has a back slightly narrower than usual, which frees up the shoulders and arms, as well as a rounded, slightly contoured seat. The back and seat dovetail at a wide angle, creating plenty of room to shift and get comfortable, while also continuing to support the back. Available in several colors, the Amia is as personal as the car it was designed to recall.
The number one priority for people who use office chairs is comfort. That's understandable; nowadays the average American worker is sitting at a desk or in front of a computer for up to ten hours a day, both at work and at home. And who wants to be uncomfortable ten hours a day? Fortunately the Amia chair is designed to relieve stress and pressure, provide excellent comfort in the seat, and support the arms. And it's not just your physical self that will work better in more comfortable positions; studies have shown that increased comfort and support at work can lead to increased brain function in the form of alertness, focus, and even productivity. Sitting in an Amia Chair is the right decision if you want to be comfortable, and being comfortable is the right decision if you want to significantly improve your day-to-day experience at work.
The Steelcase Amia chair is known first and foremost for its LiveLumbar technology, resident in the backing of the chair. A series of flexors and pads ranging across the width of the seat back, LiveLumbar does an unparalleled job of supporting and easing your lumbar region. How does it work? Well, the flexors not only support, they move and adapt to your body. That means when you recline, lean, tilt, or sit awkwardly, Amia adapts to that and keeps your back healthy. But while they flex for movement, they also hold firm for prolonged sitting. Conforming to the curve of your lower spine and correcting for awkward posture, the Amia LiveLumbar system can't be beat as far as the benefit to your back goes. And it isn't the only feature that lends support. The seat pan of the chair is strong enough to hold your weight comfortably, but also soft and rounded enough to take pressure off your legs and posterior, improving circulation and lessening or removing undue stress on your legs. The armrests are so adjustable, going four ways, that it's easy to always have the appropriately supportive arm support you need when working, no matter what position you're in.
The Amia chair is highly adjustable. Even the LiveLumbar system can be moved up and down the back of the chair according to taste! Other movable parts include:
- Adjustable Seat Depth -- People don't fit neatly into average body sizes. Leg and torso lengths can vary independent of a person's overall height. Amia's adjustable seat depth accommodates different body shapes for long-term comfort. It also works to actually keep your legs comfortable while you're sitting. It takes pressure off your thighs, which increases circulation, and it has advanced cooling technology to make sure you don't sweat or get overheated in the chair.
- Back Tension -- Adjust the amount of resistance - or "push back" - to your preference to help maintain your back's natural curve. Amia conforms to your specifications.
- Height, Depth, Width, and Pivot Arms -- Arms telescope in and out, move forward and back, pivot and adjust up and down so you can find a natural position that comfortably supports the wrists, forearms, shoulders and neck.
The Steelcase Amia chair can handle up to 300 lbs, and is backed by the Steelcase 10 year warranty. Assuming you keep the Amia for 10 years (and it may be much longer after you sit in this comfortable, ergonomic, adjustable chair), that's a cost of just 14 cents a day for the base model. Can you afford not to buy Amia?
In the end, the Amia Chair has a very strong case as the best ergonomic office chair on the market. It's very comfortable (again, the number one concern of office workers), it supports all types of bodies in all types of healthful ways, it can be adjusted to exacting specifications and therefore personalized, it's durable and has a great warranty, and it's just plain stylish and well-designed. What more can you ask of an office chair than that it give you everything you need, and nothing you don't? Smart Furniture is proud to offer the Steelcase Amia Chair to our customers.
Amia was created in the Steelcase Design Studio in collaboration with Thomas Overthun of IDEO.
- Amia Chair Independent Review
A chair critic rates the Amia Chair based on a variety of criteria- including ergonomics, style, and environmental sustainability
- Amia Chair One-Week Review
A Smart Furniture staff member spends one week in the Amia Chair
- Amia's Design Story
Read the story behind the Amia Chair's design
Shipping & Delivery
All Amia chairs are custom made to order. Orders are processed within 12 hours of receipt and generally ship within 5-6 business days.
Free FedEx Delivery!
(within the Contiguous United States)
FedEx will deliver to residential addresses Tuesday-Saturday from 9am-8pm and to business addresses Monday-Friday from 8am-6pm. Please note that FedEx will require a signature upon delivery.
Shipping Size and Weight:
40.25" h x 29.75" w x 27" d
55 lb delivery weight
Service includes delivery of small, lightweight, well packaged items right to your door (or front lobby if you live in an apartment building). We use FedEx or UPS because they are the best in the business. Deliveries are generally made within 2-6 days from the time your order ships, and occur Monday through Friday from 8am-5pm. This service does not come with a delivery appointment; however, real time tracking information is provided and can be used to monitor your order. We also insure every package to give you added piece of mind.
The Amia chair comes with a limited lifetime warranty on its base and frame, a 10-year warranty on its pneumatic cylinder and 5 years on its upholstery.