Charcoal for Eau Good, 6-Pack
by Black and Blum
At A Glance:
For use with the Eau Good Water Bottle, this six-pack of activated binchotan charcoal filters will supply you with up to three years of filtered water in your Eau Good Water Bottle. Over 22 billion plastic water bottles are discarded around the world every year. Black and Blum wanted to reduce this by making tap water taste better and encouraging people to stop buying bottled water. The Eau Good Water Bottle with its "built in" binchotan active charcoal filter was the result of their design process.
What's To Like:
- Great tasting water isn't hard to come by, especially if you're the type to plan. Fill the charcoal-filtered Eau Good Water Bottle with tap water, let it sit for 6-8 hours, and drink up. It's easy to do in the evening before a workday or day out.
- Here's the payoff: you're conserving resources better this way than by using a water filter with a plastic cartridge. The binchotan charcoal can be recycled (in all sorts of creative ways!) and lasts longer than one of the plastic cartridges.
What's Not to Like:
The only thing we can think of to pick on is that if you don't like to plan, you may dislike having to wait 6-8 hours for your water to be filtered. That's easily alleviated by doing it before you go to bed at night.
The Bottom Line:
The design is worth it, the goal is worth it ... these charcoal filters, used in the Eau Good Water Bottle, are easy on the eyes and on the conscience.
- 1 gram has a surface area in excess of 500 m2 (about one tenth the size of a football field).
- The ions of contaminants are attracted to the surface of the carbon, where they will be held.
- Able to release minerals such as calcium, iron and magnesium back into the water which enhances its taste and health benefits.
- If you are using your Binchotan with the Eau Good bottle and fill it up once a day, then it should last three months. You are then able to recharge it by boiling it in water for ten minutes and then leaving to dry in sunlight. You should be able to keep recharging it for a further three months.
Materials & Measurements
Binchotan charcoal that is made from tree branches and renowned for it's ability to soften water, add minerals and absorb unwanted impurities