Cobi Chair by Turnstone
|Comfort / Ergonomics:
See Review Details »
Read Our Employee Review »
Shop all office chairs »
Meet Cobi, the newest addition to Turnstone's home office and task seating collection.
Some people call this a "Mac chair," but those people are confused. It's a Turnstone chair. We can see why they get the two mixed up; they see a chair outlined in white, thin yet sturdy, with bright color on the seat and seat back. The chair looks as if it had opened, or bloomed, the way a laptop looks when the screen has been pulled up. But the comparisons stop there; if you don't believe us, try sitting on your open laptop (don't).
SmartFurniture.com has developed a web based product design tool it calls the 3 Minute Cobi Designer. This provides customers with the ability to pick and choose among the dozens of Cobi feature alternatives, view how the different combinations look, and order their customized version of the Cobi Chair on the spot (most configurations ship in just two days!).
Standard Cobi Chair features include:
- Flexing top edge:
The Cobi chair allows users to rest their heads, arms, backs, even legs on top of the chair, supporting a variety of postures. The flexing edge takes pressure off the back, shoulders and limbs that use it for support, as well as increases circulation. Cobi makes you more comfortable, looser and more free to move as you please.
- Flexing back:
Provides comfort and support for users. The Cobi also conforms and contours to the shape and pressure of your back and shoulders.
- Flexing seat:
Encourages users to move and shift, and allows for any variety of postures. Whether you're laid back or posture-perfect, Cobi works for you.
- Weight-activated mechanism:
Sensing your center of gravity, the Cobi adjusts to the position that will put the least amount of stress on the back, shoulders and legs, while still keeping you properly oriented and supported.
- Adjustable Seat height:
Cobi accommodates different heights and leg lengths. To raise or lower the Cobi chair, just pull the lever up.
Choose from a wide variety of configurations, from a large selection of upholstery colors and base and frame finishes, arms or no arms - Cobi fits virtually any work style and any space.
The Turnstone Cobi Chair is also known by the following manufacturer item numbers: 434111, 434110, 434710, 434711.
Materials & Measurements
Powder-coated steel, glass-reinforced nylon, polypropylene and 100-percent polyester fabric
Chair: 34.25"-39" h x 24.75" w x 23.25" d
Seat height from floor: 15.5" - 20.5"
Seat dimensions: 18.75" w x 19.5" d
Back height from seat: 19.5"
Arm height from seat: 9"
Width between arms: 18.875"
Seat to back angle: 97-104 degrees
Weight tested up to 300 lbs. with no loss of performance
For the Cobi chair's plastic and painted parts, clean using a mild household cleaner (like Fantastic or 409) and wipe with a soft, dry cloth. For Cobi's Connect fabric, use a vacuum cleaner for regular cleaning. Do not steam clean. Most stains can be removed by applying a mild soap to a slightly damp cloth, then rubbing it gently over the stain. Wipe dry.
Read more about the Cobi Chair's environmental information.
About The Manufacturer
Every part of Cobi was designed to flex and adjust to your body. Cobi's top flexing edge lets you comfortably rest your arm on top of the chair, while the flexing seat encourages you to move around and shift, allowing you to sit centered or off to the side. Cobi's flexing back contours to support any posture your body needs at any given moment.
Turnstone received the prestigious 2009 Red Dot Design Award for Cobi. The Red Dot Award, formally known as Design Innovations, is ranked among the largest design competitions.
- The observations:
- Collaboration takes time. Cobi would need to be an adaptable, flexible chair for long periods of sitting.
- People don't adjust their chairs in collaborative settings. When you're listening to a presentation or putting heads together over a tough problem, adjusting your chair is the last thing on your mind. Luckily Cobi has taken care of that issue by being intuitive and responding automatically to all kinds of pressure and varieties of gravitational centers.
- People change postures frequently while collaborating. Nervous energy, the flow of ideas, and the long hours make meetings prime-time for shifting and re-adjusting the position of your body. The Cobi chair is designed to handle that very thing.
- The insights:
- The Cobi chair should promote movement and be comfortable for long periods of time.
- Adjustments to Cobi should be automatic and intuitive.
- Cobi should support multiple postures.
The Cobi Chair from Turnstone by Steelcase is a rousing success on all three fronts.
The Cobi Chair encourages movement and supports and contours to a variety of postures. With only one adjustment (seat height), and a mechanism that's weight activated and senses and supports your own center of gravity, anyone can get comfortable quickly.
In addition to the features already listed, the Steelcase Cobi chair has a wide range of options:
- Armless chair available
- Four finish colors: black, near black, platinum and arctic white
- Optional sewn seat cushion to accommodate various fabric, leather and vinyl options.
- Seat is available with Steelcase and Designtex fabric, leather, or vinyl - as well as customer's own material, customer's own leather, or customer's own vinyl.
- Connect 3D material is standard on the chair back with matching Cogent: Connect seat, or with a seat upholstery of your choice.
Shipping & Delivery
Chair ships FexEx Ground and will be delivered to a front door or lobby.
View Smart Furniture's shipping rates, options, and delivery policies.