Eames Molded Fiberglass Armchair, Wire Base
from Herman Miller
designed by Charles and Ray Eames
At A Glance: The Eames Molded Fiberglass Armchair with Wire Base is a bigger, more comfortable version of the landmark Molded Fiberglass Side Chair. While you've often seen the side chair in school rooms and auditoriums, the armchair is a bit more substantial and supportive. Using a new process for creating fiberglass without the harmful glues of the past, Herman Miller has returned the Shell Chairs to their heritage. The Eames' would be pleased.
What's To Like:
- Fiberglass is back, and we're glad. Its unique texture and surface striations make the Shell Chairs one of Herman Miller's all-time hits. It's about time they figured out an environmentally responsible way to manufacture them!
- Classic design. The Molded Fiberglass Armchair is recognizable anytime, anyplace - for good reason.
- The Shell Chairs - all of them - were among the first to have comfort as a priority during the design process. Waterfall seat edges and a curvy seat pocket give this chair an easygoing sit.
What's Not to Like:
- There is practically no give in the molded fiberglass, so attempting to use this chair as a recliner wouldn't be a good idea.
The Bottom Line:
Original design, original comfort, original character. The Eames Molded Fiberglass Armchair's got them in spades. With all the new colors in Herman Miller's Palette, you'll have a great time choosing what vibe you want your armchair to create.
Charles and Ray Eames adapted molding techniques developed during World War II to mass produce this classic design. These molded fiberglass armchairs are true to the originals and are fully authentic, with updated materials to meet environmental requirements. Their enduring forms and quality construction make them comfortable, durable performers.
31.75" h x 25" w x 23.5" d
See the entire Eames Shell Chair Collection.
- Organic shapes. A clean, simple form sculpted to fit the body; first presented at the Museum of Modern Art in 1948.
- Popular today. The chairs have achieved a pervasive presence that proves the staying power of good design.
- Friendly to the earth. This chair's shell is made with a new process that produces monomer-free "dry-bind" fiberglass.
- Should you ever need to recycle your chair, it is eligible for Herman Miller's "Take Back" Program - an environmentally sound recycling option.
- Integral color. The fiberglass shell of the DFAR Armchair is dyed throughout so colors remain vibrant even after years of hard use.
- Cushioned contact. For extended comfort, the shell is connected to the base by rubber shock mounts.
- Glide options. The standard glide is also available with felt to protect hard-surface floors.
The Herman Miller Molded Fiberglass Chair is also known by the following manufacturer Item Number: DFAR.
MATERIALS & MEASUREMENTS
Single-piece fiberglass shell with waterfall edges and molded back, seat and arms.
Overall: 31.75" h x 25" w x 23.5" d
Seat height: 16.25"
Arm height: 26"
ABOUT THE MANUFACTURER
Herman Miller is an industry leader in the integration of cutting edge technology to furniture and other household items to make everyday life more comfortable, convenient, and stylish. Herman Miller stands out at the forefront of such fields as ergonomic technologies, environmentally friendly manufacturing processes, and customizable furniture items.
In addition to producing some of the most outstanding office furniture in the world, Herman Miller has also taken on the responsibility of manufacturing some of the most celebrated furniture designs by some of the world's most famous designs. These "modern classics" include works by Charles and Ray Eames, George Nelson, and Isamu Noguchi. Herman Miller celebrates these famous mid-century designers' works through its extraordinarily precise manufacturing techniques and industry-leading green production processes.
Herman Miller is a global company with operations, sales offices, dealers, and licensees in more than 40 countries in North America, Asia/Pacific, Europe, Middle East, Africa, and Latin America, serving customers virtually anywhere in the world. Herman Miller is headquartered in Zeeland, Michigan, while manufacturing facilities are located in the U.S., China, Italy, and the United Kingdom.
SHIPPING & DELIVERY
Standard Shipping Service:
Free Front Door Delivery
Front door delivery service means that your item will ship as quickly and safely as possible from our warehouse to your front door. Prior to delivery, our shipper will contact you using the number provided to us during checkout to schedule a delivery appointment. The driver will unload the item from the truck and place it at your door. The item is light (see below) and can easily be transferred from one place to another.
*Note: Shipping fees are per item and apply to orders shipped within the Contiguous United States
- Type: 1 box
- Box dimensions: 25" x 24" x 32"
- Packaged weight: 24 lbs.
- Assembly required: None
For additional information, please see our shipping and delivery policies page.
The Eames Molded Fiberglass Armchair comes with a 5-year manufacturer's warranty.
Do you have specific questions about what's covered under Herman Miller's warranty for this product? Give our sales team a call at 888-467-6278 to get your questions answered.
Did you purchase a piece of Herman Miller furniture that's not working as expected? Send an email to email@example.com or contact our customer service department at 888-762-7841, and we'll take care of you. We usually ask for a photo or video of the warranty issue that you're experiencing, so if you want to expedite the warranty claim process, you can e-mail us with those attachments, and we'll jump on filing the claim for you right away