with Maharam Minimal fabric
designed by Hans Wegner for Carl Hansen & Son
Introduced in 1963, the Shell Chair was skeptically met at first and it was shelved after a few limited editions were produced. In 1997, the Shell Chair was relaunched by Wegner and Carl Hansen, and finally got the attention it so obviously deserves. Then, as if to prove its popular acceptance and pedigree, one of the original Shell Chairs from the 60's sold for $20,000 at Christie's in London in 1999.
To add to the Shell Chair's collection of accolades, the chair was given the highest possible grade in The Technological Institute of Denmark's test program in 1999.
- 3 legs give the Shell Chair a unique look and a remarkably stable base
- Front legs are one continuous piece that wraps under the seat, and the rear leg is a separate piece
- Solid, long-lasting form-pressed plywood construction
- 2 upholstered cushions, fastened to the shell with screws from the back and bottom
- Comfortably provided with Maharam fabric upholstery
- Maharam Minimal fabric
- 100% Polyurethane with silver-based antimicrobial
- Abrasion: >100,000 double rubs (that's a whole lot of sitting)
- Contributes to LEED IEQ Credit 4.5, Low Emitting Materials
- Greenguard and Greenguard Gold certified
- Reformulated antimicrobial treatment
- This textile meets all appropriate flammability requirements for seating