|Thank you for shopping at Smart Furniture! Like you, we realize that it's not always snuggly bears and bright rays of sunshine when you shop online. So, please feel free to contact us for any questions or concerns you may have and we'll be happy to address them.
|Customer Service Inquiries:
phone: (888) 762-7841
phone: (888) 467-6278
Other Ways To Get In Touch With Us
Send Us a Message to Contact You
phone: (423) 267-7007
Have someone contact you about your question by filling out our International Inquiry Form.
Hours of Operation
Monday-Friday: 8am-8pm EST
Saturday: 10am-7pm EST
Sunday: Noon-6pm EST
|When you call, email or chat online with us, rest assured that you're getting in touch with one of us here in our Chattanooga, TN headquarters and not just some random call center in the middle of nowhere. We like real people, and figure you do too.
Why Shop at Smart Furniture?
1. We will win your loyalty with world-class customer service. | back to top
We strive to provide the best customer service in the world, which sounds cliché, but we're very serious about it. We admit that we're not always perfect, but we really try hard to make you happy. Until you experience how hard we try to make you happy, you will have no idea. So give us a chance -- call us, ask us a question, request a custom design, order.
2. Low-price guarantee. | back to top
Yes, on specific items and brands such as Herman Miller, Steelcase, Kartell, Blu Dot, Gus Modern and BDI.
For these products, you will see a link beside the item's price called Low Price Guarantee. If you've seen a better price (including applicable shipping costs) from another authorized retailer for the same product, you can click on the link to provide us with information on where you've seen the better price and we'll gladly get in touch with you and match the price*. You can also call us at 888-467-6278 and provide us this information so we can better serve your needs and offer you the best price and service available.
*Please note the items from the brands mentioned above are subject to the manufacturer's minimum advertised price (MAP) policies. We will match pricing only from authorized retailers who adhere to the manufacturer's specific policies.
3. No-hassle 365-day return policy. | back to top
Hey, we buy stuff online too. We know that sometimes you get excited and buy something -- then get it and it is not what you want, you like something better, or you just change your mind. When you buy something online and it turns out to be something you don't want, the worst thing that can happen is that you get stuck with it. We can't stand it when this happens. So, being true to our customer service golden rule, here is us putting our money where our mouth is:
When you buy from SmartFurniture.com, if you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase, we will be happy to accept a return for a full refund for up to 365 days from your date of purchase -- we will even pay the cost of shipping the product back to us if you return the product within 30 days after it is delivered.*
*There are no hidden fees or gimmicks, but there are some reasonable exceptions to this policy:
There are no return shipping fees if you return your purchase within 30 days. All we ask is that you send the items back to us in the original packaging, and make sure that the merchandise is in the same new condition (that's new, not mostly new--see Special Note to Party Poopers below for details). PLEASE NOTE: If you requested white glove delivery and you have doubts, please hold on to the packaging. Orders not returned in the original packaging are subject to a restocking fee.
Products shipped outside the contiguous United States, special order item(s) totaling over $1500, all parts, all Knoll products that are not in stock, and products used for tradeshow purposes are not covered by our standard 365-Day return policy. For these items we will either charge a restocking fee which will be deducted from your refund or in the case of parts, returns will not be allowed.
Have a Return or Questions? If you have a return or questions about our policies, please call us toll free at 1-888-762-7841 or email us at email@example.com. After you contact us, we will provide you with some instructions and arrange for you to return the product to us. Once your return is received and inspected by our warehouse staff (usually within 72 hours of receipt), we will process your refund and credit your credit card within 7 days. Please note that depending on your credit card company, it may take an additional 2-10 business days after your credit is applied for it to post to your account.
Special Note to Party Poopers: If you are one of those people (Let's call you "Party Poopers") who go around working some angle to get something for free or enjoy ripping people off, we respectfully request that you leave our site now and go somewhere else (call us if you would like some suggestions). We are not a big corporate monster--we are real people who care about our customers and try to do the right thing. We do not want you (the Party Poopers) to ruin this for our awesome customers. If you are wondering if you are a Party Pooper, here is a little test. When you read this policy, do you think, "Hmm, I could order all these tables and chairs for my wedding next month, keep the packaging, and return them when the wedding is over and get my money back." If your mind is capable of this thought, this note is for you because you are a Party Pooper. If you know someone who is a Party Pooper, shame them every chance you get, do it publicly if you can. Party Poopers are the reason there are so many lawyers and why sweepstakes and contests have 20 pages of rules. Shame on you Party Poopers!
Bottom Line: We hope you are laughing if you are still reading, but we want you to know that we are serious about this policy. We want you to be happy with what you purchase from us. If you are not, we want to make it easy for you to get what you want or get your money back. Why? Because that is how we would want things to work if we were in your shoes.
4. Tax-free shopping | back to top
We will never charge you sales tax for shopping at Smart Furniture if we don't have to. The only time you'll pay sales tax is if you're shipping your order to an address in North Carolina and Tennessee, the state where we're incorporated in -- so we are required to charge sales tax.
Ordering, Shipping & Delivery Information
1. What are my payment options? | back to top
Smart Furniture accepts Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover. We also accept checks and money orders. For the fastest delivery and most convenient ordering, we recommend using a credit card to secure your purchase.
We do obtain an authorization on your card at the time of your order for the full amount of your order, which may appear temporarily as a charge on your account statement, but it is only an authorization and usually falls away after 24-48 hours depending on the policies of your credit card provider. We also obtain authorizations for the outstanding balance of your order if A) your order partially ships or B) the existing authorization is about to expire. Should the re-authorization not be successful, we will contact you for new payment information.
- Residential customers: We accept personal checks from individuals. However, your personal check must clear our bank prior to product shipment. There is a $20 charge on all returned checks.
- Business customers: We accept checks or money orders and also offer net 30 terms for eligible businesses. We require credit information and prepayment on first orders paid for with checks. There is a $20 charge for any returned check. To receive a credit application for net 30 terms, please contact our Sales Department by phone at 888-GO-SMART (888-467-6278) or e-mail us (firstname.lastname@example.org). Once your credit is approved, we will ship your order.
We also accept payments via PayPal, Google Checkout and PriceWaiter (Stripe). Listed below are how each of these payment methods authorize and charge your credit card:
- PayPal: In most cases, payments through PayPal both authorize and charge to your credit card up front, though there are instances where only the authorization is made. In this case, the authorization lasts 29 days, after which your card will then be charged. We don't have a way of knowing which will be the case for your order so if you absolutely need your card billed when it ships please use a credit card for payment and not PayPal.
- PriceWaiter: Payments through PriceWaiter authorize and charge to your credit card or PayPal account up front when you place your order.
- Google Checkout: If you use Google Checkout for payment your credit card may or may not be charged when your order ships. These authorizations expire in 7 days so your payment will be captured either when your order ships or in 7 days, whichever happens first.
2. What are your standard shipping rates? | back to top
Please click here to view our standard shipping and delivery rates.
3. How will my order ship? | back to top
Our shipping department works closely with our delivery companies to ensure that your products get to you in the quickest, safest, and most reliable method possible. Primarily, our smaller products will ship to you via Ups Ground. Large or fragile items going to addresses be shipped by a large, commercial truck. Truck shipments typically include day and time specific delivery appointments. Customers must be present to receive truck orders and sign acknowledging receipt.
4. How will I know when my order actually ships and when it will arrive?
| back to top
We send all customers two and up to four e-mails regarding the status of their order. The first e-mail is a confirmation of your order. This gives you the opportunity to review the order for accuracy. We recommend that you closely review your shipping address, email address and product options and quantities to ensure that the information provided is correct. The second email is sent once a delivery date is confirmed with us by the manufacturer. Subsequent emails are sent to either confirm that your order is still on schedule or to advise of changes. The final email is sent when your order has shipped. If your order contains multiple items you may receive multiple shipping notifications. Please note:
- If your item shipped via FedEx, your email should contain FedEx tracking numbers. You may track your package on the FedEx website.
- If your item shipped via any other method, your tracking numbers are also listed in the email. However, these tracking numbers are from another carrier and are accessible through the individual carrier's website, not FedEx's website.
- We are happy to provide you with your tracking numbers if you are having any problems obtaining them. Please contact us at (888) 762-7841 or email@example.com.
5. Do you offer expedited shipping and handling? | back to top
Rush shipping is available for select items. Call us at 888-467-6278 or send a quick email to firstname.lastname@example.org for a custom quote.
6. Are there any other extra fees with delivery and/or assembly of my order? | back to top
No. We do not charge you any extra fees on your order on top of the standard rates for inside delivery and assembly listed on the question above.
7. Can you ship an order to multiple addresses? | back to top
Of course! Call us at 888-GO-SMART (888-467-6278) and we will help you place an order.
8. Can you ship internationally? | back to top
Yes, we certainly can. Please contact us directly so we can give you a personalized international shipping quote based on current exchange rates. Call us at: 888-GO-SMART (888-467-6278), chat with us now, or e-mail us at email@example.com.
Please note that we cannot sell Herman Miller® products outside of the United States.
9. How much is it to ship your products to Canada?
We provide our Canadian customers with a personalized quote based on current exchange rates. To get your quote, call us at 888-GO-SMART (888-467-6278), chat with us now, or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that we cannot sell Herman Miller® products outside of the United States.
|Warranties & Returns
1. What do I do if part of my order is missing or was damaged during transit? | back to top
Please contact us within 5 days of order receipt at (888) 762-7841 or e-mail us if our products arrived to you damaged. It is helpful to us if you have photos of the damage, but it is not required. We may request that you send the product back, so please keep the original packaging until you speak with us.
2. Do you have a warranty on your Signature Smart Shelves® products? | back to top
In addition to covering our products with a 365-Day Return policy, we also offer a lifetime warranty on all Smart Furniture Signature Line products, including all Smart Shelves® components. The warranty ensures that if you ever experience problems with breakage, chipping, discoloration, or any other problems with a Smart Furniture Signature Line product, we will replace the damaged component for free at any time (subject to product availability; includes the cost of shipping).
To take advantage of our lifetime warranty, we ask that you call our customer service department at (888) 762-7841 to notify us of the problem. If there is a manufacturing defect or the product was damaged in shipping, we may request that you send the product back, so please keep the original packaging until you speak with us.
Please note that this warranty is voided by: (1) use of the product in a tradeshow, (2) your modification of the structural elements of the product (e.g. drilling, sawing, etc.), (3) any obvious misuse or abuse of the product (to list some: throwing product from an office building, using the product for firewood, or shooting the product), (4) any act of God or a bad person (e.g. theft, fire, earthquake, tornado, flood, hurricane, bombing, or related bad guy attacks).
If you have any questions about our Signature Line lifetime warranty, please call 1-888-GO-SMART (1-888-467-6278) or email us at email@example.com.
All items not included in the Smart Furniture Signature Line are covered by the individual manufacturer's warranty. Please call 1-888-GO-SMART (1-888-467-6278) or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for warranty information for a particular product. You may also chat with a representative now.
|Questions about Smart Shelves®
1. What are Smart Shelves? | back to top
Smart Shelves® are Smart Furniture's award winning system that enable you to design your own custom shelving solution. This patented line of modular interlocking shelving components was designed by the company's founder and chairman, Stephen Culp. Smart Shelves® are produced in the U.S.A. Our system is unique because it:
- Is easy to put together and take apart -- without tools!
- Contains different components of various sizes and shapes, letting you create an infinite number of storage and display solutions
- Allows you to buy only what you need at the time you purchase and add to your unit over time as needed
- Lets you reconfigure your shelves to adapt to your changing needs
- Is strong enough to support the weight of home libraries and media collections without bowing over time
- Is covered under our lifetime warranty against breakage, chipping, or bowing
- Is proudly manufactured in the United States
2. Are all Signature Line products compatible with each other? | back to top
No. All Smart Shelves® products are compatible, but some Signature Line products, such as the 3x3 and 5x5 storage cubes, are stand-alone products and the components do not fit with other Signature Line products.
3. Can I get Smart Shelves cut to my exact measurements? | back to top
The Smart Shelves system is designed to be customized to fit almost any measurements. However, our components are pre-cut into certain lengths at the factory. While we do not typically cut our components to your exact specifications, there is no limit to the number of ways you can configure Smart Shelves to meet your needs.
4. How strong are Smart Shelves? | back to top
We have tested Smart Shelves® in numerous configurations. At their weakest point, Smart Shelves have the capacity to hold up to 70 lbs. per 36" shelf space. Our patented design means that our product maintains its strength, integrity and shape over time. Entire libraries of heavy law and medical books have been successfully stored on our shelves.
Although it is rare that a shelf will break, Smart Shelves do come with a lifetime warranty in which we will replace the broken component free of charge.
5. What are the dimensions of Smart Shelves? | back to top
The Smart Shelves shelving system contains 30 components of various lengths, depths, and shapes.
Our components are generally pre-cut into 1', 1 ½', 2', 2 ½', and 3' foot lengths. Between these board combinations, the widest or tallest space that we can create between vertical supports is 23-3/8". The smallest space we can make is 5 5/8." In between these spaces we can also create a 11-3/8" and a 17-3/8" space. Inherent in every design, there will be some 11-3/8" spaces for structural support. Click here to view a unit showcasing all of the shelf spaces available with Smart Shelves.
Each component has slots that are pre-cut into the component at certain intervals. These slots slide together for a secure fit - without the use of tools or hardware. The units connect vertically or horizontally with dowels. You create the shelving you need by arranging the components in the way that works best for you.
Our standard linear component shelf depth is 9.5", but we also have specialty linear components available in the following depths:
6. How do I put Smart Shelves together? Is there a video I can watch to see how it's done? | back to top
Our components are pre-cut into 1', 1½', 2', 2½', and 3' foot lengths. Each component has slots that are pre-cut into the component at certain intervals. These slots slide together for a secure fit - without the use of tools or hardware (see assembly video). The units connect vertically or horizontally with dowels (see image below, or view the reconfiguration video for an example). You create the shelving you need by arranging the components to configure them in the way that works best for you.
You can also add tops, bottoms, and sides if you want them. If you need to curve a bookcase as it meets the corner of a room or want a round or square table, then look at our other specialty components - the contour, the round, and the square components. If you need a deeper shelf space than our standard 9.5" component depth, then consider our arc components, our 19" deep components, and our 24" deep components.
The beauty of our system is that you buy only what you need at the time you purchase, and you can easily add to your unit over time as needed.
7. How do I design my own Smart Shelves? | back to top
Virtually all of our products can be further configured to your needs. You may:
- Purchase one of our popular pre-packaged Smart Shelves units featured on our website.
- Have one of our designers create a unit for you. To start working with a designer, just give us a call at 888-GO-SMART (888-467-6278).
- Design your own unit using our designer tool.
8. Can I hang Smart Shelves on a wall? | back to top
If you are interested in mounting a Smart Shelves unit, we recommend that you find a qualified professional in your area who can help you, such as a handyman or carpenter. This professional should be able to help you determine the best hardware for your wall type, size of unit, and weight of items you intend to place on the unit.
The brackets that Smart Furniture sells are intended for bracing floor-standing units over 5 feet tall or mounting individual components only.