Why Shop Smart?
|Shopping on the internet can be a little awkward. If you are reading this and are not related to one of us (HI MOM!), you probably don’t know that much about us. The truth is that we love what we do and we want your experience at Smart Furniture to be awesome -- not Don Johnson Miami Vice awesome, but more like the smell of cookies in the oven on Christmas morning before you open presents while wearing those pajamas with the feet in them awesome.
So, to let you know a little about us, we have written down a few things that we would want to know if we were you. First, we have summarized the basics in “Just the Facts” and then we have explained how we try to make shopping with us a great experience in “Making It Awesome”.
After reading through Why Shop Smart, if you have any doubts, you should just call us (888 467-6278 toll free). We love to talk, and if you don’t mind our Southern accents, we bet you will enjoy it too.
| A. LOW PRICE GUARANTEE
We promise that we will have the best possible prices on all new, fully licensed and authentic products. If you find a better legitimate price, please let us know -- call us at 888-467-6278. After recovering from our shock and confusion, we will match the price if we can (plus, we may throw in a free t-shirt or a cookie or something).
Other places claim to have the best prices, here's the truth: almost every company that sells products made by Herman Miller, Blu Dot, Steelcase, Kartell, Knoll, etc. all sell products at the same price -- the only exception is Design Within Reach who generally sells stuff at a higher price because people keep buying stuff from them. We sell the exact same stuff and it is almost always less expensive here. If it doesn't seem like it, give us a call.
Like all authorized retailers of these leading furniture manufacturers, we are restricted by a little thing called "MAP" -- "Minimum Advertised Pricing". The only thing you need to know to get the best price is whether the company is charging MAP. If someone is selling below MAP, that means it is either a fake, used, no warranty, or unauthorized (which usually means fake or used and no warranty). We charge MAP. You will not find a better price.
| B. 45-DAY HASSLE-FREE RETURNS. ORDER RISK FREE.*
We buy stuff online, and we understand how some purchases go. You open the packaging, take a gander at the sparkly new product inside ... and sometimes, you're underwhelmed.
Don't worry; we're here for you. We do our absolute best to make sure that your returns are seamless, easy, and totally straightforward.
If you're not completely pleased with your purchase, let us know, and one of us will walk you through our return process. You can e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 888-762-7841 any time for help.
In the meantime, here's how it works:
45-Day Simply Smart Returns: you don't like what you bought? No big deal. You let us know you want to return something, we arrange it, and we refund you when we receive the product back at our warehouse. It really is that easy. Here's how the policy breaks down:
- Orders under $2,000 can be returned to us for a full refund. We cover the cost of return shipping and you get back all of your money.*
- Orders $2,000 and over can be returned, but we'll deduct an 18% return processing fee from your refund.** We'll arrange the return shipping and will refund the order amount (minus 18%) when we receive the product from you.
A few conditions to be eligible for a refund:
- You need to have the original packaging
- The product has to be in new and unused condition
- You need to return the products to us within 45 days of delivery
Shipping can be a precarious process, and without the box, your furniture is going to look messier than a Jackson Pollock painting by the time it makes it back to our warehouse. That's why you have to have the box - even if this means asking the shipper to let you keep it.
We live by the Golden Rule, and that means we treat our customers how we want to be treated. We want your experience to be as hassle-free as possible, and we don't want you to be stuck with something that just doesn't work for you. That's why we'll take stuff back within 45 days without beating you up about it.
Please note: if you are a business customer and are working directly with a Smart Furniture Sales Team Member, this policy does not apply. This policy governs web-based purchases only.
Also note: this policy covers the stuff you get and don’t like. If you get something and it is broken, that’s another story. Contact us right away and we will get that worked out too.
*We will refund the standard shipping/delivery charge. Unfortunately, the dorky finance people tell us we cannot refund the amounts you paid for shipping upgrades.
**The return processing fee goes toward covering the cost of return shipping and warehousing fees for these higher-ticket items. Note: business orders sold offline are excluded from this policy.
| C. NO SALES TAX (EXCEPT IN TENNESSEE)
At SmartFurniture.com, we will never charge you a sales tax if we don't have to. The only time you'll pay sales tax is if you live in Tennessee. We would not charge it in Tennessee, but they make us. To make it up to Tennesseans, we will give you a hug or a cookie if you buy from us.
| D. WE DON'T CHARGE YOU UNTIL YOUR ORDER SHIPS
At SmartFurniture.com, you are able to customize many products to fit your personal styles and preferences. So, many of these products are made to order, and have longer lead times. Many stores charge your credit card as soon as you place your order.
| E. 100% SAFE, SECURE & HACKER-FREE ORDERING
Network Solutions tests and guarantees that ordering from SmartFurniture.com is safe and secure. In fact, Networks Solutions guarantees shopping with SmartFurniture.com is safe up to $1,000,000 (Click on the Network Solutions Logo at the bottom of the page to test us and see the detailed terms). We use the latest encryption technology to keep your personal information safe. We use 128-bit Encryption and Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology to ensure the security of your online order information. All your ordering information -- including your name, address, and credit card number -- is encrypted using a secure server for maximum security. Your credit card and billing information cannot be read as it travels to our ordering system.
| F. AUTHENCITY GUARANTEE: NO KNOCK-OFFS
At SmartFurniture.com, we only carry the real deal authentic designs, licensed by the original designer. We have designed and produced several of our own products, and we know how hard it is to create something original and useful to others. Because of this (and because we are not scum bags), we will only carry the authentic designs that are real deal. If you want to buy cheap knock offs, you will not find them here. And before you do, you should call us and give us a chance to talk you out of it.
Making It Awesome
| 1. WE HAVE A SOUL (AND LOVE WHAT WE DO)
We are real people, most of whom have an ownership stake in our company. So we care, more than usual, that you are treated well. If you ever happen to call, email or chat with us, you will speak with an actual person who works at Smart Furniture in Chattanooga.
- We don't outsource your calls to a different company, country or planet. Call us at (888)467-6278 and see.
- We will actually do everything we can to help you. Everyone has had to deal with apathetic companies at some point, and we are here to right their wrongs to you. We are small enough to actually care, and have a team of design specialists and customer service people who know a lot of stuff and really like helping people -- and are pretty good at it. You'll notice some of our people, animals, babies, etc.
- We live, work, and manufacture our signature line in and around Chattanooga, Tennessee. Yes, you may detect an accent, but it's because we're from the South, and everybody here talks funny. Click here for some pictures of Chattanooga.
- Our company has a unique story. Read about how Smart Furniture came about, what the Peace Corps had to do with it, and take a look at a few things we're doing now:
- Finally, we really love what we do. Here's a little blurb we put together for a recent catalog that speaks to our approach:
We are like you. We love design, we hate recessions. We appreciate great personal service, not "your call is important to us." We appreciate Charles Eames, not knockoffs. We like honest advice, we don't like being "sold to." We loved the last episode of *M*A*S*H*, but the last Seinfeld? We love guaranteed best pricing, and we hate, well... recessions. We love the internet, but it can't beat a worn-out paperback. We love timeless innovation, not fads. We love great selection, personalized attention and custom design, not one size fits all.
Because you are different. You may like a lot of other stuff we like. But maybe not in the same color, fabric, size, shape or space. Like you, Smart Furniture folks are diverse in our tastes and talents. And we make it easy for you to be different, with an utterly unique selection of products (some found nowhere else), unlimited custom designs, and a unique approach we call Design on Demand. Like you, we appreciate great design and great service. But at Smart Furniture, what we really appreciate is who makes us different: you.
| 2. YOU WILL BE TREATED WITH WORLD-CLASS, GOLDEN-RULE CUSTOMER SERVICE
We're also set up for self-service (a.k.a. Design On Demand), if you prefer that.
It makes a difference. We want your experience with us to be better than shopping in "real life."
- We strive to provide the best customer service in the world, which sounds cliché, but we're very serious about it -- read this whitepaper we wrote about the service we strive for. We admit that we're not always perfect, but we really try hard to make you happy. Yes, we've won lots of awards for this, but until you experience how hard we try to make you happy, you will have no idea. So give us a chance -- call us, ask us a question, request a custom design, order something crazy.
- We care about ethics and integrity. Our team here is small, but dedicated, and we strive to be honest as the day is long, because it pretty much helps everybody. We think you'll appreciate how we do things. If you'd like to learn more, our team wrote a whitepaper on how we think business and ethics go together.
- No baloney. We will try to level with you, to tell you the truth, unvarnished, all the time. If you feel like we're not, let us know, because that's the best way we can improve.
- Sometimes we will fall short. It is bound to happen. It if does, we will fess up, listen to you, fix it, and make sure we learn from it. We will make things right.
- We won't get in your way, though. We understand you may be of the "self-serve" ilk (many of us are). So we've built SmartFurniture.com to help you serve yourself, with
- Simple comprehensive search
- Easy sorting
- The concept of Design-On-Demand throughout-- want to design your own shelving unit or office chair? Use our Smart Designer tools.
| 3. WE ACTUALLY MAKE FURNITURE
- We actually invented Smart Furniture (a.k.a. Smart Shelves), -- with 3 patents and counting, designed it ourselves from scratch.
- Building on that, and as a result, we respect design, and designers, and have chosen the additional products we offer with great care, as well as an open mind. We look for unique products, with an eye on bringing you a unique and comprehensive overall selection. Our goal is to help you find, or design, what you want, not what we want to sell you.
| 4. PRODUCT KNOWLEDGE: WE KNOW WHAT WE'RE SELLING AND TRY TO HELP YOU MAKE THE BEST DECISIONS
- Not only did we invent Smart Furniture, we also manufacture it locally, in Tennessee and Georgia, and ship it to you directly. We're not just middlemen.
- If you can imagine the time when most companies made things, there are a lot of things people learn about product design, materials, quality, durability, and customer satisfaction that you can only learn by making things. We take notes.
We have been making Smart Shelves® for over 10 years, and what we've learned helps us to evaluate other people's products for you. We tinker and test a lot of other designers' products we sell -- just so we can tell you what we think, and hear what you think.
| 5. DESIGN ON DEMAND: WE DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU LIKE, SO WE LET YOU CUSTOMIZE THINGS THE WAY YOU LIKE
- We call it Design on Demand®. We got tired of furniture companies telling customers what is beautiful and what they should buy-- essentially dictating design, so we started Smart Furniture to give people like you a place to personalize a product or space that suits your needs. With a unique selection of products, design tools and human customer service, we wanted your experience to be better than shopping in a "real" store.
- It started with Smart Shelves®, our flagship product line. Now, we sell a number of brands, carefully chosen because: it's good stuff, it's great design, and/or it's versatile enough for you to design it from scratch, or personalize it (thus "Design on Demand").
- Try the one-of-a-kind Smart Designer®, where you can design (and order) products and spaces online. We've been doing this for 10 years (here's our first design tool based on our 1997 Smart Shelves concept).
We make it all easy. For those who don't like messing around with web-based design tools, just give us a call at (888) 467-6278 and we'll take care of you.
| 6. NO B.S. POLICY: WE ARE HONEST, EVEN WHEN IT HURTS
This kind of goes back to the Golden Rule concept we discussed above, but it was worth emphasizing. Have you ever called a cable company? Or a computer operating system company? Or the DMV? We have. It can quash your faith in humanity. We will try to restore it. We will try to be friendly, efficient, helpful and level with you, all the time, even when we make a mistake.