When you call, email or chat online with us, rest assured that you're getting in touch with one of us here in our Chattanooga, TN headquarters and not just some random call center in the middle of nowhere. We like real people just like you do.
Why Shop at Smart Furniture?
1. We will win your loyalty with world-class customer service. | back to top
We strive to provide the best customer service in the world, which sounds cliché, but we're very serious about it. We admit that we're not always perfect, but we really try hard to make you happy. Until you experience how hard we try to make you happy, you will have no idea. So give us a chance - call us, ask us a question, request a custom design, order.
2. Low-price guarantee. | back to top
Yes, on specific items and brands such as Herman Miller, Steelcase, Kartell, Blu Dot, Gus Modern and BDI.
For these products, we'll offer you the lowest price allowed by the manufacturer. If you've seen a better price (including applicable shipping costs) from another authorized retailer for the same product, you can contact us to provide us with information on where you've seen the better price and we'll gladly get in touch with you and match the price*. You can also call us at 800-260-8420 and provide us with this information so we can better serve your needs and offer you the best price and service available.
*Please note the items from the brands mentioned above are subject to the manufacturer's minimum advertised price (MAP) policies. We will match pricing only from authorized retailers who adhere to the manufacturer's specific policies.
3. 45-day Hassle-Free return policy. | back to top
We buy stuff online, and we understand how some purchases go. You open the packaging, take a gander at the sparkly new product inside ... and sometimes, you're underwhelmed.
Don't worry; we're here for you. We do our absolute best to make sure that your returns are seamless, easy, and totally straightforward.
If you're not completely pleased with your purchase, let us know, and one of us will walk you through our return process. You can e-mail us at email@example.com or call 888-762-7841 anytime for help.
In the meantime, here's how it works:
45-Day Simply Smart Returns: you don't like what you bought? No big deal. You let us know you want to return something, we arrange it, and we refund you when we receive the product back at our warehouse. It really is that easy. Here's how the policy breaks down:
- Orders under $2,000 can be returned to us for a full refund. We cover the cost of return shipping and you get back all of your money.*
- Orders $2,000 and over can be returned, but we'll deduct an 18% return processing fee from your refund.** We'll arrange the return shipping and will refund the order amount (minus 18%) when we receive the product from you.
- Business Orders over $5,000 are not eligible for this policy. Please click here for special rules on business orders over $5,000.
A few conditions to be eligible for a refund:
- You need to have the original packaging
- The product has to be in new and unused condition
- You need to return the products to us within 45 days of delivery
Shipping can be a precarious process, and without the box, your furniture is going to look messier than a Jackson Pollock painting by the time it makes it back to our warehouse. That's why you have to have the box - even if this means asking the shipper to let you keep it.
We live by the Golden Rule, and that means we treat our customers how we want to be treated. We want your experience to be as hassle-free as possible, and we don't want you to be stuck with something that just doesn't work for you. That's why we'll take stuff back within 45 days without beating you up about it.
Please note: if you are a business customer and are working directly with a Smart Furniture Sales Team Member, this policy does not apply. This policy governs web-based purchases only.
Also note: this policy covers the stuff you get and don’t like. If you get something and it is broken, that’s another story. Contact us right away and we will get that worked out too.
*We will refund the standard shipping/delivery charge. Unfortunately, the dorky finance people tell us we cannot refund the amounts you paid for shipping upgrades.
**The return processing fee goes toward covering the cost of return shipping and warehousing fees for these higher-ticket items. Note: business orders sold offline are excluded from this policy.
4. Tax-free shopping | back to top
We will never charge you sales tax for shopping at Smart Furniture if we don't have to. The only time you'll pay sales tax is if you're shipping your order to an address in Tennessee, the state where we're incorporated and are required to charge sales tax.
Ordering, Shipping & Delivery Information
1. What are my payment options? | back to top
Smart Furniture accepts all major credit cards and debit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover). We also accept checks and money orders. For the fastest delivery and most convenient ordering, we recommend using a credit card, Paypal, Affirm, or ApplePay to secure your purchase.
For local deliveries surrounding the Chattanooga, TN area-- your order will be charged once your delivery has been scheduled. Please contact us in advance for any special billing requests.
We obtain an authorization on your card at the time of your order for the full amount of your order, which may appear temporarily as a charge on your account statement, but it is only an authorization and usually falls away after 24-48 hours depending on the policies of your credit card provider. We also obtain authorizations for the outstanding balance of your order if A) your order partially ships or B) the existing authorization is about to expire. Should the re-authorization not be successful, we will contact you for new payment information. Finally, we will charge your card around 48 hours prior to an item shipping. This protects us from fraud and helps us ensure that there are no hiccups with payment.
- Residential customers: We accept personal checks from individuals. However, your personal check must clear our bank prior to product shipment. There is a $20 charge on all returned checks.
- Business customers: We accept checks, money orders, cash, Paypal, Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover Cards. We require credit information and prepayment on first orders paid for with checks. There is a $20 charge for any returned check.
We also accept payments via PayPal, Google Checkout, Amazon Payments, and PriceWaiter, Affirm, and ApplePay. Listed below are how each of these payment methods authorize
your credit card:
2. What are your standard shipping rates? | back to top Please click here to view our standard shipping and delivery rates.
- PayPal: In most cases, payments through PayPal both authorize and charge to your credit card up front, though there are instances where only the authorization is made. In this case, the authorization lasts 29 days, after which your card will then be charged. We don't have a way of knowing which will be the case for your order so if you absolutely need your card billed around 48 hours before it ships, please use a credit card for payment and not PayPal.
- PriceWaiter: Payments through PriceWaiter authorize and charge to your credit card or PayPal account up front when you place your order.
- Amazon Payments: There will be an initial authorization at the time of the order. We will then make the actual charge to your card around 48 hours prior to an item shipping. This protects us from fraud, and helps us ensure that there are no hiccups with payment.
- ApplePay: ApplyPay orders will be charged at the time of the order. The folks out in Cupertino don't allow us to charge later, so we have to secure funds right away.
- Affirm: All Affirm orders are approved through their system. They will take care of sending the monthly bills. Please note that Affirm is a 3rd party entity, and they handle all credit checks, finance terms, and re-payment.
3. How will my order ship? | back to top
Our shipping department works closely with our delivery companies to ensure that your products get to you in the quickest, safest and most reliable method possible. Primarily, our smaller products will ship to you via UPS Ground. Large or fragile items going to addresses be shipped by a large, commercial truck. Truck shipments typically include day and time specific delivery appointments. Customers must be present to receive truck orders and sign acknowledging receipt.
4. How will I know when my order actually ships and when it will arrive? | back to top
We'll send you between two and four e-mails regarding the status of your order. The first e-mail is a confirmation of your order. This gives you the opportunity to review the order for accuracy. We recommend that you closely review your shipping address, email address and product options and quantities to ensure that the information provided is correct. A second email may be sent once a delivery date is confirmed for us by the manufacturer. Subsequent emails may be sent to either confirm that your order is still on schedule or to advise of changes. The final email is sent when your order has shipped. If your order contains multiple items you may receive multiple shipping notifications. Please note:
- If your item shipped via FedEx, your email should contain FedEx tracking numbers. You may track your package on the FedEx website.
- If your item shipped via any other method, your tracking numbers are also listed in the email. However, these tracking numbers are from another carrier and are accessible through the individual carrier's website, not FedEx's website.
- We are happy to provide your tracking numbers to you if you are having any problems obtaining them. Please contact us at (888) 762-7841 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Do you offer expedited shipping and handling? | back to top Rush shipping is available for select items. Call us at 800-260-8420 or send a quick email to email@example.com for a custom quote.
6. Are there any other extra fees with delivery and/or assembly of my order? | back to top No. We do not charge you any extra fees for your order on top of the standard rates for inside delivery and assembly listed on the question above.
7. Can you ship an order to multiple addresses? | back to top
Of course! Call us at 800-260-8420 and we will help you place an order.
8. Can you ship internationally? | back to top
Yes, sometimes we can. Younger Furniture is one line we can ship anywhere but most products we sell cannot ship outside the USA. This is because our distribution rights are only within the USA. Please contact us directly so we can look into the item(s) you seek and possibly give you a personalized international shipping quote based on current exchange rates. Call us at: 800-260-8420, chat with us now, or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any orders with a billing address outside of the United States or Canada will require an upfront wire transfer or cashier's check to process.
Please note that we cannot sell Herman Miller® products outside of the United States.
9. How much is it to ship your products to Canada?
Unfortunately, most products we sell are not able to be shipped to Canada. However, we can ship Humanscale and HON to Canada free of charge.10. I want Smart Cash! How do I get it?
Smart Cash can be acquired
several ways including reviewing products, buying stuff, or you have good karma and good things just naturally happen to you. You can also earn 3% Smart Cash through select product purchases online. The 3% rewards aren't on all products, nor do you accrue them on orders placed through PriceWaiter or sales reps. 11. How do I use my Smart Cash?
After you take a quiz you are prompted to create an account or login
so we can link the Smart Cash to your account. After you do so, your $25 reward is now available when you checkout. On the billing page at the top above payment details is a box you check that says "Redeem My $XX Smart Cash ($XX available)". You should check that box to apply the Smart Cash to your order. 12. I have Smart Cash in my account but I don't see it available to use, what gives?
There are exclusions, we're sorry. First, your order subtotal must exceed $100 for the Smart Cash box
to appear at checkout. If your order is less than $100, Smart Cash isn't an option. Certain brands are also excluded (click here
to learn more).
Warranties & Returns
1. What do I do if part of my order is missing or was damaged during transit? | back to top
Please contact us within 5 days of order receipt at (888) 762-7841 or e-mail us if your products arrived to you damaged. It is helpful to us if you have photos of the damage, but they are not required. We may request that you send the product back, so please keep the original packaging until you speak with us.
2. Do you have a warranty on your Signature Smart Shelves® products? | back to top
In addition to covering our products with a 45-Day Return policy, we also offer a lifetime warranty on all Smart Furniture Signature Line products, including all Smart Shelves® components. The warranty ensures that if you ever experience problems with breakage, chipping, discoloration, or any other problems with a Smart Furniture Signature Line product, we will replace the damaged component for free at any time (subject to product availability; includes the cost of shipping).
To take advantage of our lifetime warranty, we ask that you call our customer service department at (888) 762-7841 to notify us of the problem. If there is a manufacturing defect or the product was damaged in shipping, we may request that you send the product back, so please keep the original packaging until you speak with us.
Please note that this warranty is voided by: (1) use of the product in a tradeshow, (2) your modification of the structural elements of the product (e.g. drilling, sawing, etc.), (3) any obvious misuse or abuse of the product (to list some: throwing product from an office building, using the product for firewood, or shooting the product), (4) any act of God or a bad person (e.g. theft, fire, earthquake, tornado, flood, hurricane, bombing, or related bad guy attacks).
If you have any questions about our Signature Line lifetime warranty, please call 800-260-8420 or email us at email@example.com.
All items not included in the Smart Furniture Signature Line are covered by the individual manufacturer's warranty. Please call or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for warranty information for a particular product. You may also chat with a representative now.
Questions about Smart Shelves®
1. What are Smart Shelves? | back to top
Smart Shelves® are Smart Furniture's award-winning system that enables you to design your own custom shelving solution. This patented line of modular interlocking shelving components was designed by the company's founder and chairman, Stephen Culp. Smart Shelves® are produced in the U.S.A. Our system is unique because it:
- Is easy to put together and take apart - without tools!
- Contains different components of various sizes and shapes, letting you create an infinite number of storage and display solutions
- Allows you to buy only what you need at the time you purchase and add to your unit over time as needed
- Lets you reconfigure your shelves to adapt to your changing needs
- Is strong enough to support the weight of home libraries and media collections without bowing over time
- Is covered under our lifetime warranty against breakage, chipping, or bowing
- Is proudly manufactured in the United States
2. Are all Signature Line products compatible with each other? | back to top
No. All Smart Shelves® products are compatible, but some Signature Line products, such as the 3x3 and 5x5 storage cubes, are stand-alone products and the components do not fit with other Signature Line products.
3. Can I get Smart Shelves cut to my exact measurements? | back to top
The Smart Shelves system is designed to be customized to fit almost any measurements. However, our components are pre-cut into certain lengths at the factory. While we do not typically cut our components to your exact specifications, there is no limit to the number of ways you can configure Smart Shelves to meet your needs.
4. How strong are Smart Shelves? | back to top
We have tested Smart Shelves® in numerous configurations. At their weakest point, Smart Shelves have the capacity to hold up to 70 lbs. per 36" shelf space. Our patented design means that our product maintains its strength, integrity, and shape over time. Entire libraries of heavy law and medical books have been successfully stored on our shelves.
Although it is rare that a shelf will break, Smart Shelves do come with a lifetime warranty in which we will replace the broken component free of charge.
5. What are the dimensions of Smart Shelves? | back to top
The Smart Shelves shelving system contains 30 components of various lengths, depths, and shapes.
Our components are generally pre-cut into 1', 1 ½', 2', 2 ½', and 3' foot lengths. Between these board combinations, the widest or tallest space that we can create between vertical supports is 23-3/8". The smallest space we can make is 5 5/8." In between these spaces we can also create a 11-3/8" and a 17-3/8" space. Inherent in every design, there will be some 11-3/8" spaces for structural support. Click here to view a unit showcasing all of the shelf spaces available with Smart Shelves.
Each component has slots that are pre-cut into the component at certain intervals. These slots slide together for a secure fit - without the use of tools or hardware. The units connect vertically or horizontally with dowels. You create the shelving you need by arranging the components in the way that works best for you.
Our standard linear component shelf depth is 9.5", but we also have specialty linear components available in the following depths:
6. How do I put Smart Shelves together? Is there a video I can watch to see how it's done? | back to top
Our components are pre-cut into 1', 1½', 2', 2½', and 3' foot lengths. Each component has slots that are pre-cut into the component at certain intervals. These slots slide together for a secure fit - without the use of tools or hardware (see assembly video). The units connect vertically or horizontally with dowels (see image below or view the reconfiguration video for an example). You create the shelving you need by arranging the components to configure them in the way that works best for you.
You can also add tops, bottoms, and sides if you want them. If you need to curve a bookcase as it meets the corner of a room or want a round or square table, then look at our other specialty components - the contour, the round, and the square components. If you need a deeper shelf space than our standard 9.5" component depth, then consider our arc components.
The beauty of our system is that you buy only what you need at the time you purchase, and you can easily add to your unit over time as needed.
7. How do I design my own Smart Shelves? | back to top
Virtually all of our products can be further configured to your needs. You may:
- Purchase one of our popular pre-packaged Smart Shelves units featured on our website.
- Have one of our designers create a unit for you. To start working with a designer, just give us a call at 800-260-8420.
8. Can I hang Smart Shelves on a wall? | back to top
If you are interested in mounting a Smart Shelves unit, we recommend that you find a qualified professional in your area who can help you, such as a handyman or carpenter. This professional should be able to help you determine the best hardware for your wall type, size of the unit, and weight of items you intend to place on the unit.
The brackets that Smart Furniture sells are intended for bracing floor-standing units over 6 feet tall. You can check them out here. Make sure to get the larger size for our 5/8" thick shelves.