designed by Eero Saarinen
At A Glance:
The Tulip Stool by Eero Saarinen is a perfect example of his style. He was an essentialist, breaking a stool or another piece of furniture down to its most basic form and function, and marrying that to an equally pure design aesthetic.
The Tulip Stool is an essential art object, a lovely seat, and a piece of furniture design history. Designed in 1956, the Tulip Stool was minimalist and holistic. As Saarinen said, "In any design problem, one should seek the solution in terms of the next largest thing. If the problem is a chair, then its solution must be found in the way it relates to the room."
The Tulip Stool was the perfect expression of that idea. Winner of the 1969 Museum of Modern Art Award, the stool is available with complementary chairs and tables.
What's To Like:
- One-piece look - with a base that accomplishes Saarinen's goal of clearing up "the slum of legs" in the modern home.
- Plush, colorful upholstered seat.
What's Not to Like:
- Price could be a sticking point; it's not cheap.
- If you like stools with four legs, perhaps the Tulip Stool isn't your best bet.
- We can't find anything else to pick on - this stool is a classic.
The Bottom Line:
When put together with the Saarinen tables, the Tulip Stool makes a beautiful, iconic modern dining set. Alone, it's a great-looking stool that fits in most any living space.
Customer's own material may be used on the Tulip Stool after being approved. In addition, many of Knoll's other fabric lines are available upon request. Please call a Smart Furniture salesperson at 888-467-6278 to get started!
- Overall dimensions: 16.5" h x 15.5" diameter
- Cast aluminum base
- Black and white stools have a rilsan coated base
- Platinum stools have a polyurethane enameled base with a clear satin finish
- Seat is fully upholstered
The Tulip Stool has a cast aluminum base with a rilsan coated finish for black and white chairs. Platinum chairs consist of a high-resilient polyurethane enamel wet coat with a clear satin finish. The shell is molded fiberglass with a reinforced plastic bonded finish.
Overall: 16.5" h x 15.5" w