The Aeron Stool is up to 94 percent recyclable based on availability of recycling facilities. It is comprised of 51-percent recycled materials. The recycled content breaks down by 50-percent post-consumer and 1-percent pre-consumer content
- Every material has been scrutinized down to the molecular level.
- Aluminum components contain approximately 100 percent recycled content and are 100 percent recyclable.
- Steel components contain approximately 37 percent recycled content and are 100 percent recyclable.
- Most metal components are finished using materials that emit negligible volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
- Plastic components are identified with an ASTM recycling code whenever possible, to aid in returning these materials to the recycling stream.
- No polyvinyl chloride (PVC) used; thermoplastic elastomer is used for arm skin.
- Returnable/Recyclable Packaging—Packaging materials include corrugated cardboard and a polyethylene plastic bag. These materials are part of a closed-loop recycling system, for repeated recycling, meaning they can be recycled repeatedly.
Whenever possible, shipments between Herman Miller and its suppliers include the use of pallets and other returnable packaging to minimize waste.
On large North American orders, disposable packaging can be replaced with reusable shipping blankets.
- enewable Energy and Emissions—The Aeron Stool is manufactured at Herman Miller’s GreenHouse seating operations in West Michigan using 100 percent renewable energy via renewable energy credits and a power purchase agreement. No air or water emissions are released in Aeron Stool’s production.
- The GreenHouse is also a LEED Pioneer building.
- The GreenHouse is within the scope of Herman Miller’s ISO 14001 certified environmental management system.
- Worker Health and Safety—Herman Miller strives to meet or exceed OHSA standards. The GreenHouse is within the scope of Herman Miller’s OHSAS 18001 certified safety management system.
- Easy assembly for cost-efficiency and quick parts replacement.
- Easy disassembly for recyclability.
- Designed for durability, an important environmental criterion.
- Backed by Herman Miller’s 12-year, 24/7 warranty.
Corporate Sustainability Policy
For more information on Herman Miller’s Corporate Sustainability Policy and other environmental efforts, please visit HermanMiller.com/environment.
At Herman Miller, we are committed to working closely with our suppliers to reduce our collective impact on the environment. We not only encourage our suppliers to minimize their operations’ environmental impacts, but require they assist us in decreasing our facilities’ negative environmental effects, as well.
Aeron Stool may contribute to LEED credits due to its returnable/reusable packaging, durability, pre-consumer and post-consumer recycled content. Depending on location, Aeron Stool also may contribute to a LEED Regional Materials credit. The Herman Miller LEED calculator may be found on the websites product pages or contact your Herman Miller representative for detailed LEED information.
Good design includes thinking about how to recycle used products. Our program, rePurpose, gives new life to furniture that’s no longer needed. By employing a thoughtful combination of resale, recycling, and donation on each project, rePurpose ensures each asset, including furniture, equipment, and supplies, reaches its best destination. The rePurpose program is a cost-effective, reliable, and efficient service that protects the environment and benefits the community. rePurpose is a single-source approach, which saves time and money, eliminates liability, and keeps 99 percent of product out of landfills. Its robust web-based reporting helps organization of all types and sizes align economic, environmental, and social goals.