Eames Molded Wood Side Chair with Dowel Leg Base
by Herman Miller
designed by Charles and Ray Eames
At A Glance:
This is the chair they would have made back in the '50s if that darned plywood would have cooperated. And now, with the help of 3-D veneer technology, Herman Miller has figured out how to make the Eames' vision work. The result of a process that gives wood veneer the extra flexibility it needs to be molded into the complex curves of a single shell, the Molded Wood Side Chair with Dowel Leg Base stands as a fitting compliment to the great designers who dreamed it up.
What's to Like:
- This chair is iconic to the extreme. Not simply "Eames-inspired," the Molded Wood Side Chair is the realization of their very idea of what could be possible with molded plywood.
- High quality, lightweight hardwood inner plies are sandwiched between natural wood face veneers for exceptional strength and beauty.
- The juxtaposition of the Eames Molded Wood Side Chair's wood seat and black metal dowel leg frame makes for exceptional visual balance and grace.
- The technology used is incredible. "3-D veneer technology" means that the wood is sliced into super-thin strips and then glued back together. The resulting flexibility reduces the thickness needed for the veneer and allows it to be molded in ways that it never could before.
The Eames Molded Wood Side Chair is comfortable, elegant, and features a familiar - yet updated - form. This Herman Miller side chair is for fans of mid-century icons and lovers of historic design alike.
The Herman Miller Eames Molded Wood Side Chair is also known by the following manufacturer Item Number: DWSW.
Materials & Measurements
- Single-piece molded wood shell with waterfall edges
- 3 veneer options
- Base and legs made of black metal and wood with 3 finish options
- Overall: 32" h x 21" w x 19" d
- Seat height: 16.25"
The Eames Molded Wood Side Chair with Dowel Leg Base is composed of 15% recycled content. Should you wish to recycle it one day, 66% of it is recyclable.
About the Manufacturer
Herman Miller Authorized Retailer
Herman Miller is an industry leader in the integration of cutting edge technology to furniture and other household items to make everyday life more comfortable, convenient, and stylish. Herman Miller stands out at the forefront of such fields as ergonomic technologies, environmentally friendly manufacturing processes, and customizable furniture items.
In addition to producing some of the most outstanding office furniture in the world, Herman Miller has also taken on the responsibility of manufacturing some of the most celebrated furniture designs by some of the world's most famous designs. These "modern classics" include works by Charles and Ray Eames, George Nelson, and Isamu Noguchi. Herman Miller celebrates these famous mid-century designers' works through its extraordinarily precise manufacturing techniques and industry-leading green production processes.
Herman Miller is a global company with operations, sales offices, dealers, and licensees in more than 40 countries in North America, Asia/Pacific, Europe, Middle East, Africa, and Latin America, serving customers virtually anywhere in the world. Herman Miller is headquartered in Zeeland, Michigan, while manufacturing facilities are located in the U.S., China, Italy, and the United Kingdom.
About the Designer
Charles and Ray Eames
Charles and Ray Eames are perhaps the most celebrated designers of the 20th century. Married in 1941, the Eames duo are responsible for some of the most critically acclaimed furniture designs of the modern era. Amongst their most famous designs are the molded plastic chair group (which would have been molded wood chairs if the wood was amenable to the plan) and the soft pad chairs. Although they are most often remembered today for their furniture designs with partner Herman Miller, the Eameses engaged in artistic expression across a broad range of mediums- including architecture and filmmaking.