Eames Upholstered Molded Fiberglass Side Chair, 4-Leg Base
from Herman Miller
designed by Charles and Ray Eames
At A Glance: The Eames Upholstered Molded Fiberglass Side Chair with 4-Leg Base is an iconic piece of American design history. While you've often seen the side chair in school rooms and auditoriums, it is in its element in the home. Mid-century authenticity has never been more accessible - or comfortable with classy upholstery. Using a new process for creating fiberglass without the harmful glues of the past, Herman Miller has returned the Shell Chairs to their heritage. The Eames' would be pleased.
What's To Like:
- Fiberglass is back, and we're glad. Its unique texture and surface striations make the Shell Chairs one of Herman Miller's all-time hits. It's about time they figured out an environmentally responsible way to manufacture them!
- Classic design. The Upholstered Molded Fiberglass Side Chair is recognizable anytime, anyplace - for good reason.
- The Shell Chairs - all of them - were among the first to have comfort as a priority during the design process. Waterfall seat edges and a curvy seat pocket give this chair an easygoing sit.
What's Not to Like:
- There is practically no give in the molded fiberglass, so attempting to use this chair as a recliner wouldn't be a good idea.
The Bottom Line:
Original design, original comfort, original character. The Eames Upholstered Molded Fiberglass Side Chair's got them in spades. With all the new fiberglass and upholstery colors in Herman Miller's Palette, you'll have a great time choosing what vibe you want your chair to create.
Charles and Ray Eames adapted molding techniques developed during World War II to mass produce this classic design. These molded fiberglass side chairs are true to the originals and are fully authentic, with updated materials to meet environmental requirements. Their enduring forms and quality construction make them comfortable, durable performers.
31.125" h x 19" w x 17.25" d
See the entire Eames Shell Chair Collection.
- Organic shapes. A clean, simple form sculpted to fit the body; first presented at the Museum of Modern Art in 1948.
- Popular today. The chairs have achieved a pervasive presence that proves the staying power of good design.
- Friendly to the earth. This chair's shell is made with a new process that produces monomer-free "dry-bind" fiberglass.
- Should you ever need to recycle your chair, it is eligible for Herman Miller's "Take Back" Program - an environmentally sound recycling option.
- Integral color. The fiberglass shell of the DFSX Side Chair is dyed throughout so colors remain vibrant even after years of hard use.
- Cushioned contact. For extended comfort, the shell is connected to the base by rubber shock mounts.
- Upholstered comfort. You're sitting in style for the long haul - bring on those multiple course meals.
- Glide options. The standard glide is also available with felt to protect hard-surface floors.
The Herman Miller Upholstered Molded Fiberglass Side Chair is also known by the following manufacturer Item Number: DFSX.U.
Materials & Measurements
Molded fiberglass frame with metal legs and Hopsak fabric upholstery
Overall: 31.125" h x 19" w x 21.75" d
Seat height: 17.25"
About the Manufacturer
Herman Miller Authorized Retailer
Herman Miller is an industry leader in the integration of cutting edge technology to furniture and other household items to make everyday life more comfortable, convenient, and stylish. Herman Miller stands out at the forefront of such fields as ergonomic technologies, environmentally friendly manufacturing processes, and customizable furniture items.
In addition to producing some of the most outstanding office furniture in the world, Herman Miller has also taken on the responsibility of manufacturing some of the most celebrated furniture designs by some of the world's most famous designs. These "modern classics" include works by Charles and Ray Eames, George Nelson, and Isamu Noguchi. Herman Miller celebrates these famous mid-century designers' works through its extraordinarily precise manufacturing techniques and industry-leading green production processes.
Herman Miller is a global company with operations, sales offices, dealers, and licensees in more than 40 countries in North America, Asia/Pacific, Europe, Middle East, Africa, and Latin America, serving customers virtually anywhere in the world. Herman Miller is headquartered in Zeeland, Michigan, while manufacturing facilities are located in the U.S., China, Italy, and the United Kingdom.
- This chair's shell is made with a new process that produces monomer-free "dry-bind" fiberglass.
- Made of 17% Recycled Content
- Chair is 86% Recyclable
- GREENGUARD Gold Certified