Eames Upholstered Molded Plastic Side Chair, 4-Leg Base
from Herman Miller
designed by Charles and Ray Eames
At A Glance: The Eames Upholstered Molded Plastic Side Chair with 4-Leg Base is an iconic piece of American design history. While you've often seen the side chair in school rooms and auditoriums, it is in its element in the home. Mid-century authenticity has never been more accessible - or comfortable. Exemplifying their mantra of "the best for the most for the least," this side chair boasts a minimalist design and sleek curves that make it stand out without having to shout.
What's To Like:
- Classic design. The Upholstered Molded Plastic Side Chair is recognizable anytime, anyplace - for good reason.
- The Shell Chairs - all of them - were among the first to have comfort as a priority during the design process. Waterfall seat edges and a curvy seat pocket give this chair an easygoing sit.
What's Not to Like:
- There is practically no give in the molded plastic, so attempting to use this chair as a recliner wouldn't be a good idea.
The Bottom Line:
Original design, original comfort, original character. The Eames Upholstered Molded Plastic Side Chair's got them in spades. With all the new plastic and upholstery colors in Herman Miller's Palette, you'll have a great time choosing what vibe you want your chair to create.
Charles and Ray Eames adapted molding techniques developed during World War II to mass produce this classic design. These molded plastic side chairs are true to the originals and are fully authentic, with updated materials to meet environmental requirements. Their enduring forms and quality construction make them comfortable, durable performers.
31.25" h x 18.75" w x 21.25" d
See the entire Eames Shell Chair Collection.
- Organic shapes. A clean, simple form sculpted to fit the body; first presented at the Museum of Modern Art in 1948.
- Popular today. The chairs have achieved a pervasive presence that proves the staying power of good design.
- Should you ever need to recycle your chair, it is eligible for Herman Miller's "Take Back" Program - an environmentally sound recycling option.
- Cushioned contact. For extended comfort, the shell is connected to the base by rubber shock mounts.
- Upholstered comfort. You're sitting in style for the long haul - bring on those multiple course meals.
- Glide options. The standard glide is also available with felt to protect hard-surface floors.
The Herman Miller Upholstered Molded Plastic Side Chair is also known by the following manufacturer Item Number: DSX.U.
Materials & Measurements
Molded plastic frame with metal legs and Hopsak fabric upholstery
Overall: 31.25" h x 18.75" w x 21.25" d
Seat height: 16.875"
- Made of 16% Recycled Content
- Chair is 84% Recyclable
- GREENGUARD Gold Certified
About the Manufacturer
Herman Miller Authorized Retailer
Herman Miller is an industry leader in the integration of cutting edge technology to furniture and other household items to make everyday life more comfortable, convenient, and stylish. Herman Miller stands out at the forefront of such fields as ergonomic technologies, environmentally friendly manufacturing processes, and customizable furniture items.
In addition to producing some of the most outstanding office furniture in the world, Herman Miller has also taken on the responsibility of manufacturing some of the most celebrated furniture designs by some of the world's most famous designs. These "modern classics" include works by Charles and Ray Eames, George Nelson, and Isamu Noguchi. Herman Miller celebrates these famous mid-century designers' works through its extraordinarily precise manufacturing techniques and industry-leading green production processes.
Herman Miller is a global company with operations, sales offices, dealers, and licensees in more than 40 countries in North America, Asia/Pacific, Europe, Middle East, Africa, and Latin America, serving customers virtually anywhere in the world. Herman Miller is headquartered in Zeeland, Michigan, while manufacturing facilities are located in the U.S., China, Italy, and the United Kingdom.