Maharam Minimal Shell Chair
Though this item is long gone, we’ve curated a few other products that you might also be interested in. Check them out!
with Maharam Minimal fabric
designed by Hans Wegner for Carl Hansen & Son
Introduced in 1963, the Shell Chair was skeptically met at first and it was shelved after a few limited editions were produced. In 1997, the Shell Chair was relaunched by Wegner and Carl Hansen, and finally got the attention it so obviously deserves. Then, as if to prove its popular acceptance and pedigree, one of the original Shell Chairs from the 60's sold for $20,000 at Christie's in London in 1999.
To add to the Shell Chair's collection of accolades, the chair was given the highest possible grade in The Technological Institute of Denmark's test program in 1999.
- 3 legs give the Shell Chair a unique look and a remarkably stable base
- Front legs are one continuous piece that wraps under the seat, and the rear leg is a separate piece
- Solid, long-lasting form-pressed plywood construction
- 2 upholstered cushions, fastened to the shell with screws from the back and bottom
- Comfortably provided with Maharam fabric upholstery
- Maharam Minimal fabric
- 100% Polyurethane with silver-based antimicrobial
- Abrasion: >100,000 double rubs (that's a whole lot of sitting)
- Contributes to LEED IEQ Credit 4.5, Low Emitting Materials
- Greenguard and Greenguard Gold certified
- Reformulated antimicrobial treatment
- This textile meets all appropriate flammability requirements for seating
Materials & Measurements
Cold foam, Maharam upholstery options
29.1" h | 36.2" w | 32.7" d | seat depth: 18.9" | seat height: 13.8"
On the occasion of its 50th anniversary and ICFF, the perpetually innovative Hans Wegner Shell Chair serves as a foil for Maharam’s diverse range of textiles, including homespun wool textures, re-editioned designs of the Wiener Werkstätte and Alexander Girard, and collaborations with Hella Jongerius and Paul Smith.
Twenty special Shell Chairs, each with a different Maharam textile and coordinating wood frame, have been editioned as part of Carl Hansen's celebration of the chair and the creative genius of both Hans Wegner and the designers of these incredible fabrics.
Shipping & Delivery
Shipping for the Maharam Shell Chair is free!
Please allow 2-4 weeks for configurations to arrive at destinations within the contiguous United States
Standard Ship Method:
Ships via standard freight
Package weight: 46.7 lbs.
Package size: 29.9" h | 35.8" w | 35.8" l
For additional information, please see our shipping and delivery policies page.
All Carl Hansen & Son furniture comes with a 1-year limited manufacturer's warranty.
One of the prime influences in Danish Modern design during its formative years, Hans Wegner first began to design furniture after attending the Carpenters' Guild Furniture Exhibits in Copenhagen, Denmark. Shortly after completing his studies at what is now The Danish Design School, he was tasked by Arne Jacobsen with designing all the furniture of his Arhus City Hall. After working with Jacobsen for a short time, he began designing furniture for the Carl Hansen & Son furniture company in 1949. From that partnership came classics such as the Wishbone Chair, Elbow Chair, Shell Chair, and Wing Chair. Still as fresh now as they were then, these enduring pieces of modern furniture bear testimony to Wegner's craftsmanship and inspiration.